The VWR Intercooler System is the best performing intercooler upgrade on offer for the MQB-platform Golf 7 GTI, R and Audi S3, with proven race championship performance to back that up. The factory intercooler has shown itself to be unable to cope with the demands of higher power, hard driven cars.
By consistently reducing intake air temperatures (IAT), heat soak is minimised delivering increased performance again and again without the recovery cool-down times needed for the production intercooler.
The giant 56mm core depth of the system uses careful optimised fin design, delivering the sweet spot’ of maximum IAT cooling versus minimum pressure loss. This has allowed us to achieve increased size without increased lag.
Unlike many on the market, every part of the VWR Intercooler System is designed, sourced and manufactured in the UK.
The VWR Intercooler System is a direct bolt-on replacement for the stock intercooler. It really is essential for every stage of tuning on any high performance MQB-platform car, and is the perfect compliment to our OEM+ Performance Software programme.
KEY TECH SPECS
- HIGH EFFICIENCY –Dramatically lower intake air temperatures (IAT) increases horsepower while minimizing the power-robbing heat soak from the standard ‘cooler, time after time.
- MAXIMUM CORE SIZE –The massive intercooler unit features a high-speed core using extra tall internal tubes for maximum boost flow.
- OPTIMUM LOCATION –Careful maximisation of the factory location allows exceptional airflow across the intercooler core without impacting airflow behind it.
- SOPHISTICATED CORE DESIGN –Highly effective UK-made aluminium plate and bar construction, with fully welded cast end tanks following rigorous testing to optimise core dimensions, fin density, and pipe flow.
- SMOOTH CAST END TANKS –UK cast construction for minimal turbulence and restriction delivering maximum flow across the entire core depth.
- SIMPLE FITMENT –Minimal modification required with no trimming, cutting, or any non-reversible modification required.
The factory intercooler is not capable of consistently delivering repeated high power runs on an uprated car without suffering significant power losses as heat soak drives up air intake temperatures.
Through the giant core dimensions of 694mm x 410mm x 56mm (27 x 16.14 x 2.2), the VWR Intercooler System is capable of supporting power outputs of up to twice that of the standard car whilst still cooling air charge temperatures efficiently.
Low clog airside fin surface for minimum degradation in performance and lower maintenance.
Fitment in the factory location ensures that the intercooler is fed with the best possible volume of high pressure, high velocity airflow spread across the entire unit. Airflow to the factory water cooling system is not disrupted.
3D scanning development work on Golf 7 GTI, Golf R and Audi S3 has delivered a package that fits within the factory fitting space yet crams in the maximum frontal area and core volume.
Using advanced CFD software analysis to develop prototype units, before moving to real world dyno, road and track testing allowed our engineers to thoroughly evaluate the design solution that delivers optimum cooling whilst minimising pressure loss across the core.
Careful attention was given to establishing the core’s ideal fin density, ensuring the concentration was neither too low giving ineffective cooling, nor too high which gives excessive pressure drops across the unit.
Ongoing measurement of the efficiency between the inlet air temperature versus the outlet air temperature shows the final VWR Intercooler System delivering over 80% effectiveness, whereas the original factory units deliver only around 60% (dependent on model).
The final package design maintains critical airflow to the water radiator and engine bay components behind the VWR Intercooler System. It remains fully compatible with the active cruise control (ACC) systems.